Good catches, also known as near-miss events, prevent errors from reaching patients every single day. The use of smart infusion pumps enhances patient safety at the bedside by adding another opportunity for potential medication errors to be detected before reaching the patient.
By reviewing good catch data and optimizing smart infusion pump utilization, health systems gain insight into the impact this technology can have on patient safety.
For 30 minutes, we shared data from our widespread network of hospitals including:
- A review of types of good catches detected by smart infusion pumps
- Trends in good catch data, including medication examples
- Strategies to enhance patient safety through library build
Key moments in the presentation:
- 11:47: Most error-prone medication in adult profiles in the Bainbridge Health network
- 13:17: Most error-prone medication in pediatric profiles in the Bainbridge Health network
- 19:23: Resultant Action Look Alike/Sound Alike errors
- 21:48: Strategies to enhance patient safety through library build